Pages

15/10/2012

Urban Decay

A walk around the Cavendish Dock area of Barrow

Cavendish Dock
The remains of Barrow Papermills

 

The remains of Barrow's industrial history can be seen all around the dock area

 

Roosecote Power Station




Walney Channel, with South Walney Nature Reserve in the distance.

 




Demolition in progress, clearing the former industrial area. Plans were in place to build a new waterfront business park and marina development. Work has currently ceased due to financial problems brought about by government cutbacks.

 

Nature vs. Man





           Politically opinionated vandals










Disused railway line near the former Rope Works
 

The remains of the former Rope Works, with the DDH behind
















Amidst the chaos there is beauty. Piel Island meets the south end of Walney.


You can read something of the history of the mills here:
and of the power station here:

2 comments :

  1. Hi, gorgeous photos, I just returned from my first sail out to Piel Island, but was so busy avoiding windfarms and sandbanks that I didnt get any shots :) - hope you dont mind if I use your 'channel' image in a recent post on my blog? http://sailaquila.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/the-piel-triangle/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't mind at all, glad you like my photos :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you've enjoyed my photos!

Visitors

Flag Counter