Pages

07/10/2013

Autumn at Leighton Moss RSPB Nature Reserve

The RSPB reserve at Leighton Moss, Silverdale, is the largest reedbed in North West England. As well as many other birds it is home to the elusive Bittern. 
There are several large hides from which to "twitch". If you're lucky you may spot Otters, Red Deer and Marsh Harriers, to name but a few. 
When I was there last week I could hear Red Deer bellowing in the reedbeds, as this is the rutting season. This year it will be home to the BBC's Autumnwatch series. No doubt they will spot much more wildlife than I did!

Season of mist...


Insect Hotel at Leighton Moss Nature Reserve
Insect Hotel
P1200842
Hen Pheasant
Hen Pheasant
Bearded Tit
Bearded Tits
P1200885
Viburnum Opulus - Guelder Rose
P1200887
Jew's Ear Fungus, edible, but I didn't try it!
Jew's Ear Fungus
Cormorant
Cormorant
Viburnum Opulus - Guelder Rose

Pheasant
Pheasant Family
The Causeway, Leighton Moss
The Causeway, leading to Public Hide
Bulrush
Bulrushes

Bracket Fungus
Bracket Fungus
Hedera Helix - English Ivy. A very important food source for many animals, birds and insects
Hedera Helix - English Ivy
Reed beds at Leighton Moss
Reed Beds
Oyster Mushrooms (I think!)
Oyster Mushrooms - at least I think they are!

Grey Heron
Grey Heron, watching & waiting...
P1200971
Lichen
Lichen
Bracket Fungus
Moss, lichens and fungus thrive in the damp reedbeds
Cock Pheasant plumage
Cock Pheasant plumage
Hen Pheasant plumage
Less dramatic, but equally beautiful, hen Pheasant plumage

P1210014


Bracket Fungus

P1210017
P1210015
I'm not expert enough to name all the various types of fungi
P1210019
A Coot checking out his funny feet
A Coot checking out his crazy feet!
Raindrops squeezing through canopy, one by one.
Heavy showers left a canopy weighed down with rain; the droplets were squeezing through, one by one
Silverdale Railway Station   As always, I hope you enjoyed my photos. Thanks for visiting!                
More about Leighton Moss RSPB reserve here...              
Arrive by public transport and you get into the reserve for free!



2 comments :

  1. Brings back happy memories - was a regualr haunt after Mum and Dad moved to Warton nr Carnforth until I moved south with work - best moment was not only hearing but also seeing the booming bittern. Must say I never saw such lovely fungi though! Lovely photos as always. Mxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne, I think this is my favourite post ...the photos are so lovely ..... "the causeway" photo I could use for a yoga meditation it's perfect ! thanks for sharing a lovely day out...Gail x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you've enjoyed my photos!

Visitors

Flag Counter